This one is not necessarily mexican but it is a super good soup and fast. Most of us do have a little more time on our hands or well we did during the lockdown. Most of us are back to work and times are back to rushing to make a quick meal for your family.
I found the original one of this online years ago. Even before I had gotten married. So I can not give the exact source of the original recipe. Nor can I remember the exact name. I know it was a quick or fast chicken dumpling soup.
These are the two ingredients and if you want this is all you need. I like to add my own chicken to make it a little more meaty. With mexican soup at least how we make it in our house. I put whole chicken legs and thighs(hubby likes dark meat) in the chicken. Not shredded chicken like most.
For last nights soup, I put two thighs and two legs in a pot of water covering the chicken. Once the chicken was cooked through and some of the water evaporated down. I first put in chicken bouillon powder in the chicken water. Than I added three cans of the Progresso. If you don’t like it with so much broth than you can take some of the water you boiled the chicken in.
Once that is brought back to a boil you will want to use the flakey biscuit one like in the picture here. Makes it so much easier for making smaller dumplings. If you can’t make a skinny layer of biscuit than you will want to rip the dough in half if it is a thick layer. I have learned from making this enough. You don’t want to big of dumplings. But if you have never had a dumpling made out of biscuit…you are in for an amazing dumpling.
Me, myself I do not care for the dough taste in the homemade dumplings. Yes a lot prefer it. Just has never been something that I had liked. This dumpling tastes nothing like dough. It tastes like a gooey chicken broth filled dumpling. Have to make sure the water is boiling, otherwise the dough will not cook into a dumpling.
That is basically it. If you really want to make it more mexican style than you can make a tomato chicken broth instead of just chicken broth. Next time I make my mexican chicken soup I will post how to make the tomato chicken broth. Add chopped onions and cilantro on top with fresh corn tortillas.
INGREDIENTS: Serves: 2-4
- 3 Cans Of Progresso Chicken Noodle Soup( or any kind or brand you prefer)
- Whole pieces of Chicken thighs, legs, wings, or breasts
- Chicken Bouillon powder ( depends on how much liquid you keep in your pan from boiling chicken)
- 1 small can of 5 buttermilk biscuits flakey layers
- salt and pepper to taste
- can of mixed vegetables or frozen (optional)
- 2-3 potatoes peeled and boiled in soup
Topping of onions, cilantro (optional) can leave it it out and just have it american chicken dumpling soup.
- In a large pot add your chicken and enough water to boil chicken in. Add more water as needed if chicken is not finished. Plus you need some water left to make chicken broth. Skim off foam as needed. Just before chicken is finished you can add your potato.
- Once chicken is finished, decide how much broth you want and add the cans of soup in the pot with chicken boullion.
- After the broth has a little time to boil, add any other vegetables you are adding. And bring back to full rolling boil.
- Add ripped up biscuits to your boiling water. Look above to see about the size you should make your dumplings. Let them cook for a few minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and serve as you like.
Hope you enjoy and please stay safe while out shopping. Online shopping has great deals and can avoid other people. If your able to do that. Have a great day or night.